Top 5 Questions for Hotel and Motel Insurance

1. What are the coverages needed on hotel and motel insurance?
  • Property Insurance
  • Contents Coverage or Business Personal Property
  • General Liability Coverage
  • Workers Compensation
  • Umbrella Coverage
  • Employee Dishonesty
  • Employment Practices Liability
  • Equipment Breakdown
  • Boiler Insurance
  • Commercial Auto
  • Inland Marine
  • Professional or Management Liability
  • Hospitality errors and omission
  • Personal grooming services liability
  • Guest Property Coverage

2. If I own more than one hotel or motel, can I have them on the same policies?
Yes. These would be written on a commercial policy. Depending on what carrier is the best for you, we may put blanket coverage on the properties or schedule them all individually. Either way, you can put multiple properties on one policy.

3. If I own hotels, what should I request from contractors working on my property?
It is best practice to require all contractors give you their proof of insurance for the General Liability Insurance and supply Workers Compensation or copy of exemption proof of coverage if they are not exempt.

4. What are discounts for Hotel and Motel Insurance?
Common discounts are franchise discounts, sprinkler systems, fire and burglar alarm system, safety programs in place, clean claims history, and the length of time you have had insurance can all qualify for discounts.

5. How much liability coverage is needed for each hotel?
The coverage amount needed will be subject to how much you are trying to protect and will vary from location to location. The ways to protect the property are through a general liability policy first and then an umbrella policy to cover limits above your underlying general liability policy.